Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Plodding Persistence

It's early Wednesday morning and I'm thinking back to last night's late spring rain storm.

I've been building a barn storage building which will become my art studio when it's done. I hadn't prayed for rain because so much of the material it's made of is pressed fiber board. Rain is not it's friend. I did however know that we needed rain so as soon as the last shingle was on and even before I had built the barn doors I began to pray for rain. That was Monday afternoon and yesterday being Tuesday a rain storm came our way.
I'm quite amazed that the building is up and is sturdy and standing. I've had a different kind of crew helping me build this miracle. A couple visiting from Belarus were my first volunteers. Neither speak much English and my Russian is in its juvenile stage of development at best. With this gracious couple I was able to get the foundation set up on cinder blocks and the four walls constructed.
My next volunteers were a fellow widow and her thirty something son and his wife. We erected the walls, put the roof trusses up and sheathed the roof.
My last and most recent helper was a young Russian American boy. He helped me paper and shingle the roof. Just beginning his summer vacation he rose late in the mornings and discovered the temperature fluctuations on black roofing felt can be drastic. We finished the roof on a day when the temperature outside was 110 and the surface temperature on the felt was a good twenty degrees higher.
Today I've decided to get busy and build the doors for my barn slash art studio slash spare guest room. I don't want another rain storm to come and ruin the interior of my barn.
I was rather overwhelmed when the delivery guy dropped a large plastic covered stack of wood in my yard. I thought to myself, "What have I gotten myself into?".

I have more volunteers waiting in the wings to help with interior projects. I have yet to electrify the building. I have yet to insulate, floor, cover the walls or decorate it. All of these are but items on a long list of "to dos" that will get done in the process of time.
I've said before that if you just do something for fifteen minutes everyday you can finish, or master it. This project didn't follow that exact path, but with plodding persistence I know I shall finish it!
- love never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment