Sunday, May 29, 2011

Munchkins

Grandchildren are wondrous little blessings. When they look at you for the first time it's supernatural. I remember holding my little grandson when he was first born. I whispered love words and sang love songs to him. I got to be with him for his first week. His mama was recovering from a spinal block and needed extra help. He was so sweet and quiet, and he reached into my heart and tied our lives together forever. He so reminded me of the days when my daughter was born. Both were born with bilateral cleft lips and palates. Looking at him was like looking into my own past. All the feelings of fear, trepidation and worry came flooding back. I could see much of his future looking into his eyes. I knew he would have multiple surgeries. I knew his mom would have to face many challenges and overcome the memories of her childhood. I also knew that God would walk them both through whatever would come their way.

When our granddaughter was born I was much too far away to be able to hold her, but I was tied to her just as strongly as I was to our grandson. Having lost children, I have a strange connection to any child born on the planet. I can love strongly whether by blood or complete strangers. I've been to the other side of the world loving children in orphanages and God put that special kind of love in me. It surely isn't a natural thing. I have friends who can barely stand their own children, let alone strangers. So the moment I was able to touch my little Tzipporah (we call her Zippy) she was tied to my heart as strongly as  the bible's "triple braided cord".

In fourteen days our summer adventure with our grandkids begins (God willing). We have many fun surprises in store. They have ideas of what's going to happen, but I'm sure they will be surprised at a lot of what we're going to do. The main thing is that we are going to do some marathon loving. We are going to squeeze love into every waking and sleeping moment they are with us. We will love them when they are good, love them when they are bad, love them when they act like children of God and love them when they act otherwise. We are good at loving and we look forward to this special opportunity that God has blessed us with.

Every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father of lights! The blessing of the Lord maketh rich and He adds no sorrow with it. Children are a blessing from the Lord! We are so excited and thankful for this time and we will be good stewards over these precious gifts from above.

Thanks to our son in love and daughter for sharing them with us.

1 comment:

  1. love this post... I know you'll enjoy your time with your babies... you asked about my little endeavor... here it is... http://everydayscrapbook.com - I love the idea, given to me by the Lord... and when the time is right I know He will make it a success... my newest frame is a magnet EverydayFrame...

    It was great hearing from you... hopefully with the summer here I'll be able to visit more of the site I haven't been able to... Hope all is well and God is continuing to bless you...

    {{hugs}} Michelle

    ReplyDelete