Saturday, October 9, 2010

Octoberfest Memories

My husband and I were in Fredericksburg, Texas this past weekend and had SUCH a lovely time. We each had traditional German costumes and planned to really be a part of this great event. This year was their 30th anniversary and they had their actual FIRST parade. It was a very petite parade, but a parade nonetheless. We both looked away for a moment when someone offered to take our picture and it was over. Perhaps next year it will be twice as big and last an actual block.

We stayed at a bed and breakfast and were so blessed by our temporary home. It had a queen sized bed in a nook, a loft for kids (I actually climbed up the ladder and snapped some pictures of hubby from on high), a little fridge, microwave, TV with family oriented DVDs, a large bathroom with footed claw tub and a washroom with washer/dryer and ironing board. The breakfast part of our stay was a disappointment, but we visited "Hill Country Donuts and Kolaches" twice and were completely satisfied.

Our first stop upon arriving in Fredericksburg was Dooley's 5,10 and 25 cent store. We love this eclectic store full of everything a traditional dime store might have. I found some pristine white lace knee highs that were perfect in finishing off my German ensemble. I also found a huge croaking rubber bull frog for a young friend of mine. She was quite happy that I decided it was the perfect gift for her.

After watching the parade we bought our three day wrist band passes and ventured into the MarktPlatz. The smell of German food was thick in the air. The first smell that met our olfactory glands (noses for those you want to know) was a nutty cinnamony smell. They were roasting and caramelizing all sorts of yummy nuts just as you entered the area. Yummo! When we came to a fork in the path we were met with a humongous stein of King Kong proportions. Jeff of course needed a picture next to the massive mug of multitudinous size so I obliged his whim. This was after all, the beginning of our first adventure into Octoberfest land. What adventure would be complete if the gigantic globe of a container had been omitted?

It seems that most people were wearing the traditional garb of the US; flip flops, shorts and logo Ts. We had decided to steep ourselves in the party atmosphere so most folks assumed we were part of the working or entertaining crowd. We got our pictures taken by loads of folks. There was one really great perk to my wearing a German dirndl and hubby wearing lederhosen and that was when we were in line for food or drink tickets. The ladies in charge of the ticket booths would come to us and give us tickets. Jeff thought they just liked him and that he had favor of God, but the last day when we didn't wear our outfits we did NOT get such favor. We will never attend Octoberfest without our German get ups again.

We enjoyed German music, food, dancing, laughter, Czech music and dancing. There were booths with food, artistry and souvenirs. There was a special area for kids called the Kinderhall. There were face painters and games geared for the young and young at heart. There was a lady who did very nice caricatures, but they were pricey for my budget so we just enjoyed her craftsmanship. The vendors had amazing items for sale. One could even purchase actual German clothing and steins inside the vendor tent.

I loved the oompah pah bands, the swing band, the polka bands and all the dancing. I have almost memorized the chicken dance now. (Thanks Patti, I did remember the dance). They must have danced it almost 20 times during the three days we were there.

We did lots of other things as well while in Fredericksburg. The shops there are so much fun and even just sitting on a bench and watching people is fun in this quaint German town. I love the architecture and the decor. I love nothing better than seeing lace curtains. Our final blessing was having dinner at Lindenbaum restaurant. I had Jaeger schnitzel and Jeff had goulash. Yummo deluxe. The waiter knew what I wanted before I could spit out the word Jaeger. I told him I'd been dreaming of what I was going to have and that I didn't even need a menu. He then proceeded to tell me what I wanted!

All and all it was an amazing three days of fun all wrapped up in strudel and bratwurst. I can't tell you how yummy a time we had. I even got to play a couple accordions at the town's music store. It just couldn't have gotten any better if I'd been German myself.

If you get a chance to go next year I know you'll have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment