Saturday, January 8, 2011

Home Home on the Chaparral


I used to live on the range in Wyoming, but now I'm in West Texas so technically speaking I live in the chaparral amongst the oil derricks and pump jacks. I can just hear it now.

"Oh give me a home where the oil derricks bloom and the pump jacks and coyotes play. Where seldom is heard "unemployment absurd", and the skies are not cloudy most days."

I woke way too early this morning, before 5:00AM. Rather than fight it I got up, read my daily bible reading and wrote in my journal. I then dressed quickly and made myself go out into the cold. There I encountered gluttonous goats, hungry hens, ravenous roosters, and a couple noisy ducks. This is normal in our part of the world. We have 12 goats, 23 hens, 5 roosters, two ducks, a cat and a dog. We used to have mice, but hubby has been working to rid the hen house of the little pests so for now we are mice free.

Our goat "Pal" has discovered how to break fences. He keeps getting in the chicken yard. I suppose he felt it was fair as the chickens are constantly over in the goat's field and eat the bits and pieces of goat feed that the goats miss. He decided that I wasn't fast enough with the goat goodies so he did his little escape routine and went after the chicken feed. I got him back where he belonged by pouring sweet feed in the goat trough. He showed me he latest escape route, which I temporarily fixed. Hubby will have to do the expert job of repairing the fence.

I discovered late yesterday that our latest Cornish chick is a rooster. That means butcher time at the OK Corral. We already have four roosters. I'm ready for two to go "bye bye" so hubby has more to do than he bargained for when he gets home. "Smiles everyone".

Today is my day off so I dragged a bunch of my craft supplies to the little house and have been making cards since last evening. I finished 32 cards and 16 envelopes. I now have to make envelopes for 16 of the cards left over. Should be a quick work.

I'm feeling a little tired and it's not even 9AM so that means a nap. Naps are good. I've always liked naps.

Well, this was fun but it's time to step away from the computer and create. I've already had the accordion out and practiced it this morning. Note to self: Play your accordion more often, you really enjoy it.

Time to play and maybe make some oatmeal for breakfast.

Cerise

No comments:

Post a Comment