Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunny Sunday


I'm in our cozy little farm house surrounded by way too much stuff. Why? I've been making cards for two days. I've finished 56 cards and 48 homemade envelopes thus far and on my way to make more. I love making cards, it's such a delight. The hardest thing is giving them away. Each one has my heart and soul in it, but God doesn't give us the ability to create just to consume our gifts on ourselves. So...I will be selling some and giving the rest away. I do love giving cards. I love surprising someone in the middle of the week or the middle of a nothing day with a card. Giving a homemade card is all the better.

I woke up way too early again this morning, but I guess that's just life on the farm. I knew the ducks were trapped in the greenhouse with our young Rhode Island Red rooster and his sister. I kept envisioning a fight where the rooster attacks the ducks. Wow did I have it wrong. I got up while it was still dark thirty and went out and attempted to let the ducks out. They were having none of it. I eventually convinced them to come out. Later in the morning I went out to do my morning feeding rounds and the ducks were waiting outside the greenhouse. I had no idea to expect the fight that would ensue, but as soon as the door was open to the greenhouse my Swedish blue duck "Squeaker" headed for "Rosie" our young rooster. He cornered him and bit the dickens out of him. Poor guy was scared like a bunny rabbit. He eventually made his way out of the greenhouse and flew into the compost bin to safety. Squeaker has always been so docile it's wild to see him get "postal" on my poor juvenile rooster. Life on this farm sure has it's wilder moments.

As soon as the chaos died down between the "Mighty Ducks" and the RIR Rooster boy I noticed one our goats (Pal) was in the big chicken yard. He was bawling like a baby and trying to get back with the other goats. When I put hay in the feeder and alfalfa pellets in the trough on the opposite side of the fence he went wild trying to jump the fence. He got up on a bunch of wooden pallets. I could just envision him getting high centered on the fence so I rushed to get a bucket of pellets. I lured him gingerly through the gate and dumped the pellets out, much to his glee and delight. Freddie and Billie (two of our pygmy goats) ran to help him eat them. The only bawling after that was from the corral on the other side of the yard. The "babies" were making all sorts of noise in their attempt to lure me to their side of the world. They are normally last because they are so far from the house, but they get the best feed so I never feel guilty. I used to freak in the mornings because they all sounded so pathetic, but I've learned they ALWAYS sound pathetic when they are trying to manipulate you.

Everyone was fed and I was cold and ready to get my granny fanny in the house. I miss my daughter and grandkids so it's an especially hard time for me. My husband is on his way back to Texas from New Mexico so I really have to sit on the lonely feelings that haunt me twice a month. I guess it's back to the creative drawing board till then.

I'm glad it's sunny this morning. God is good to give me a sunny day outside when I'm feeling blue and dreary on the inside.

Cerise

No comments:

Post a Comment