Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter Work


I've been busy cleaning out the baskets in my kitchen. (Most of my cupboards are open shelves with cute wicker baskets). I love order and dislike chaos and disorganization. I also cleaned out our financial records and need to go uptown to purchase a plastic bin and manila folders for 2010 in preparation for 2011. It's nice to start with a clean slate. I have lots of things to enter into the computer, but I'm simply prepping for now.

My husband has been cleaning the goat barn for a couple of days. It took way longer than he anticipated as it was deep in "goaty raisins". When he's through he's going to lay down lots of fresh straw for the nannies and "babies" (now quite large) to sleep in. He already made a wonderful feeder for the goat boyz. They waste so much less because they can't trample the bails or go potty on them. Once a goat smells "wee wee" on their hay they won't touch it. That can be very wasteful.

The duck pool was an inch deep in ice this morning, so once the hose thawed hubby filled the pool with fresh water. We're trusting that the kiddie pool will last through the winter and spring as we haven't seen many swimming pools at the stores this time of year.

I'm thinking about making some more fresh bread. The first loaf is almost gone and I plan to make potato soup for dinner. Hubby loves fresh bread and we're back to whole wheat and sugar free living. I'm learning how to use molasses, agave syrup and Stevia instead of sugars. It's a challenge, but our health is worth it. Making cookies for hubby is so vital. He loves sweets and I can't keep him away from them all.

Our chickens are happy, but would love some fresh green grass. I save every little bit of our veggie trash for them as they need produce like we need it. We also chop up corn tortillas for them and they really appreciate them. They aren't really laying eggs right now as they are at the end of their annual molt. It's nice to see them all feathered out again. They really need feathers as it got down to 18 the other day. That's cold in terms of Texas weather.

I'm purging closets, drawers and cupboards and again loving the "clean slate" feel of it all.

The attic is calling me and I'm anticipating getting it done VERY soon. That will be a real undertaking.

I think I'll get out my embroidery for my night projects. I may also pick up my accordion and do some practicing on it as well. I love winter for the very reason that it's cool enough to work hard and not be uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment